Big, Big Bag Month Contest Winners: ‘Other’ Category
The impressive bags keep coming and coming! You did see our winners in the Tote and Handbag categories, right? Here we have our innovative “Other” category which included messenger, backpack, makeup bags, etc. (along with wristlets and travel bags!). Our judges, as in every category, looked for the following criteria as they made their difficult decisions: Design Creativity, Fantastic Use of Fabric specific to Design, Overall Appeal/Aesthetics, Utility/Practicality and an Interesting/Good Discussion about the Bag in the Entry. There’s just one more category winner announcement to go tomorrow! Here are today’s winners:
|Grand Prize Winner
Wizard of Oz Bag by Hope, Going Sew Crazy
Hope made this travel bag for herself, learning a few things in the process. She writes:
The bag pattern is my own, made from my need for a travel case for my anniversary trip. The fabric is Japanese and I fell in love with it because of the sweet characters and the fact that I love the Wizard of Oz, as do my girls. I had thought this bag up, drafted it, and then I decided to add piping to it. It was my first time doing piping and was much easier than I thought it would be. The construction was just a little tricky since I had to think through each step the first time, but I came out of it with a very clear way to do it next time. After my trip, I am planning on using it for an
- From the judges: The fabric, piping and shape design combination in this bag was striking to the judges. Carrie wrote, “This is so cute– it looks like it would be a great travel bag!”
- Hope wins: A $50 Gift Certificate to Sew,Mama,Sew!
For more of Hope’s adventures in fabric and sewing (and to find out if the bag traveled to the intended destination) visit Hope’s blog Going Sew Crazy.
- From the judges: The fabric and soft pleats in this bag were a hit for our judges. They envisioned this wristlet looking good just about anywhere! Sara wrote, “I love the small delicate look of this wristlet. It would look great with a pair of jeans or with a little black dress.”
- Jenniffer wins: A Fabric Pack of 10 half yards from the Katie Jump Rope fabric collection by Denyse Schmidt.
Visit Jenniffer’s blog Minefull for more of her beautiful work.
- From the judges: Jennifer thought the Weekender is reminiscent of “the old Eastern or Pan am flight bags,” and she loved details like the piping in combination with the fabric choice. Sara’s sentiments were echoed again and again by our judges: “Just WOW! This bag jumped out at me right away for the high quality construction and professional look. Not to mention she photographed it beautifully. This pic would look right at home featured in Martha Stewart or Real Simple. I am blown away by the attention to detail and how beautifully the pretty, light colored fabric shows this off. This bag is going to be a treasure for years to come!”
- Monique can try her hand at another Amy Butler pattern soon! She wins:
An Amy Butler sewing pattern courtesy of Amy Butler Design.
Update yourself on Monique’s beautiful creations (she’s an incredible knitter with more and more sewing lately thrown in the mix!) on her blog The Lint Knitter. We love her “the good, the bad and the ugly” feature in her posts!
|Second Place Winner:
Convertible Wristlet Purse by Jenniffer, MineFull
Intentionality in design (and multiple configurations) really stood out for the judges here. Hope writes:
The bag I’ve designed is a small wristlet that converts to a shoulder bag with a swivel clip and d-ring. I designed this pattern after carrying around a wristlet and from time to time wishing that I could just put it on my shoulder for hands free shopping without the bag hanging from my wrist. I’ve modified the shape of the bag over the last year, this pleated version is my most recent design.
I chose this fabric just because I think it’s a great design (it also matches a wrap skirt I made for myself from the same fabric). I love this little bag simply because it acts as an over sized wallet for me. My coin purse, business card/credit card case, lip balm and any other little bits and pieces I need to take with me are always found inside. The beauty of this bag is that I can throw it in the diaper bag or my larger handbag and always have the essentials close at hand. When I want to go diaper bag free, I can just grab this wristlet and go.
|Third Place Winner:
Weekender Bag by Monique, The Lint Knitter
Can you believe Monique is learning how to sew, and started with this bag? She writes:
This pattern was my motivation for learning to sew. I loved this bag since I first saw it and was giddy the entire time I was putting it together. I felt like a proud mama when I finally got it done.
Fabric: Upholstery Fabric
One more fabulous category to come!
13 Responses to “Big, Big Bag Month Contest Winners: ‘Other’ Category”