Season Pass Holder Tutorial
|Tired of unzipping your coat every time a lift op decides to assert their power? Keep your pass in easy view and avoid any delays catching the fresh. These are not the droids you’re looking for.|
- 1 piece cotton fabric 5.5″ W x 3.5″ H (flap)
- 1 piece cotton fabric 4.5″ W x 1.5″ H (press this into double-fold binding)
- 1 piece clear vinyl, 4.5″ W x 4″ H (pass window)
- small amount of heavy-weight interfacing, cut into three pieces
two pieces 5.5″ W x 5″ H (front & back), one piece 5.5″ W x 1.5″ H (flap)
- yard stick or ruler
- masking tape
|1. Following manufacturers instructions, apply interfacing to wrong side of front & back pieces, and along the top of of wrong side of your flap piece.
2. Assemble Flap: Fold flap piece in half with right sides together, and sew along short edges with a 1/2″ seam. Trim edges, being careful not to clip over your seam. Turn right side out, press. Apply the soft side of your 4.5″ length of velcro 1/4″ up from your folded edge, with a tight 1/8″ border. Set flap aside.
3. With a scrap of elastic, play with the tension of your machine. To sew a nice even seam through a couple layers of elastic, my machine’s tension needs to be way up on the dial. If your tension is too low, the bobbin thread will turn into a crazy mess on the back of your work.
4. Fold your 22″ length of strap elastic 1″ over your metal D-ring one one end, and stitch elastic over a couple of times to secure it. This will be hidden inside of the pocket assembly, so neatness is not a factor, just keep it within a 1/2″ seam allowance. On the other end of your elastic, fold over 1/4″ inch and finish with a zig-zag stitch.
|5. Pin strap to the right side of your back piece, lining up your previous seam to the edge of the fabric, as shown in the photo to the right. Secure strap to the back piece with a 1/4″ seam.
6. With right sides together, sew front and back along strap side with a 1/2″ seam allowance. Turn out and find your flap! Baste top edge of flap to the right side of your pocket top, flush along your side seam, with the soft side of that velcro facing down as shown. Fold your back piece back over, and sew top and bottom edges of pocket closed, right sides together, leaving the side opposite your strap assembly unsewn.
7. Turn right side out, and pin everything together somewhere along the center so your elastic is guided evenly through the center of your pocket.
8. With your fingers, carefully fold in a 1/2″ seam along the open edge of the pocket and press in place, with the long end of your elastic strap sticking out of the center. Pin edge closed if desired and sew 1/4″ from edge.
9. With pocket top facing up, apply scratchy side of your 6″ length of velcro to to elastic strap starting from the edge of the seam you just closed. Sew soft side of your 6″ length of velcro to the SAME SIDE of your elastic as the scratchy side, but starting at your finished edge from step #4. This should leave you about 3″ of stretch in between your velcro pieces. Flip this around and thread it through your D-ring if you’re anxious to see it work! Take it back out again so you can…
|10. Check your machine tension again with a scrap of vinyl. Sew your binding piece over one long edge of your vinyl piece. As close as you can get to the edge of your binding, sew the scratchy side of your 4.5″ length of velcro to the vinyl. If you’re having trouble keeping the velcro from slipping, use masking tape! You can sew right through it, and it tears off easily when you’re done.|
11. Place vinyl top onto your pocket, making sure your elastic for the top flap lines up, trimming vinyl if necessary. Stitch 1/2″ inch from edge and again 1/4″ inch from edge, creating a nice double seam, and back-tacking at each edge.
12. Slip in your pass, and hit the slopes! Chewbacca is all ready for the upcoming season.
24 Responses to “Season Pass Holder Tutorial”