Quilting for Peace ~ Grocery Bag Sew-Off
Don’t forget to note your participation in Quilting for Peace Team Sew,Mama,Sew! by the end of today (Friday) in the forum for your chance to win a copy of Quilting for Peace. Yesterday we shared our first team project, Wrap Them in Love, and today we’re introducing our Grocery Bag Sew-Off!
The Great Grocery Bag Sew-Off
We were inspired by morsbags and The Green Bag Lady, two groups that give away cloth bags with the goal of reducing usage of paper and plastic shopping bags. See our post about Morsbags and The Green Bag Lady here. Make 5 cloth bags between now and December 22, and you’ll have a chance to win one of 15 fabulous prizes from Fiskars! In fact, for every five bags we’ll give you another chance to win… You could challenge yourself to sew a new cloth bag for everyone on your holiday list! Or, take some guerilla action and stand in front of your local grocery store to hand them out as people head in (won’t they be surprised?!). We’ll also give you an additional chance to win if you fill a bag with food and drop it off at a local food bank.
Our Challenge to You
1. Make cloth bags to replace paper & plastic through December 22.
2. Make lots of bags!
- 5 bags = 1 chance to win
- 10 bags = 2 chances to win
- 15 bags = 3 chances to win
3. Bonus challenge: Fill your cloth bag(s) with food and drop them off at a local food bank.
4. Share pictures of your bags in this forum thread. You must post pictures of your bags for entry in the contest. We will check the forum thread on December 22 for final entry tallies.
One of Irene’s many cloth bags, all made with her Classic Tote Pattern.
- Cloth bag resources abound! We have an excellent Classic Tote Pattern, built to withstand the test of canned goods, library books & so much more. We also offer Bag Strap tips and some good Lunch Bag links too.
- Teresa, the Green Bag Lady, has an easy, free pattern for you to download. She also shows you how to make a Green Bag Lady bag in this video.
- Morsbags also offers free bag instructions, plus a “how to” animation (both under “Make One” on the morsbags site).
Morsbags estimates that every cloth bag saves the ecosystem from approximately 80 plastic bags. Your time and skills can really make a difference!
Some of Beth’s 2008 holiday gifts made with Irene’s Classic Tote Pattern.
Call to Action
It’s time! Make cloth bags to give away and let us know by December 22. It’s actually very easy to whip up tons of cloth bags, assembly style, in one afternoon. Make a difference with your talents and your sewing machine! Fill us in on your efforts in this forum thread so we can enter you to win fabulous prizes from Fiskars.
21 Responses to “Quilting for Peace ~ Grocery Bag Sew-Off”