Modern Block of the Month (BOM) ~ April Sew-Along
Join our Modern Block of the Month Sew-Along! You can make any or all of the blocks, with fabrics of your choice. Alissa Haight Carlton from Handmade by Alissa shares a new block each month, with detailed instructions and ideas for turning your blocks into gorgeous quilts.
Block Party: The Modern Quilting Bee: The Journey of 12 Women, 1 Blog & 12 Improvisational Projects, by Alissa and Kristen Lejnieks, inspired our series. Alissa’s newest book, Modern Minimal: 20 Bold & Graphic Quilts is also a great inspiration and guide for modern quilt design. Find our review and some great quilting tips from Alissa in last month’s post.
Modern BOM Information:
- Yardage Information
- July Block
- August Block
- September Block
- October Block
- November Block
- December Block
- January Block
- February Block
- March Block
Don’t miss the amazing blocks in the Modern BOM pool on Flickr. Add yours today! You can also grab the Modern BOM button for your site: http://www.sewmamasew.com/blog2/july2011/ModernBOM.jpg.
Today we have April’s block! This asymmetrical block with lots of negative space can be arranged any number of ways to create a bold graphic quilt.
- Fabric A: (Kona Cotton Bone) ¼ yard
Fabric B: (Kona Cotton Butterscotch) 1.5” wide scrap, at least 29” long
Fabric C: (Shot Cotton – Galvanized) 1.5” wide scrap, at least 22” long
Fabric D: (Crossweave Blue Blue) 1.5” wide scrap, at least 17.5” long
For one 12.5” x 12.5” block
- A1 = 9.5” x 3.5”
A2 = 10.5” x 1.5”
A3 = 8.5” x 5”
A4 = 1.5” x 7”
A5 = 7.5” x 1.5”
A6 = 8.5” x 4.5”
A7 = 1.5” x 15.5”
A8 = 4” x 5.5”
A9 = 6” x 6.5”
A10 = 5.5” x 2.5”
B1 = 10.5” x 1.5”
B2 = 1.5” x 11”
B3 = 7.5” x 1.5”
C1 = 9” x 1.5”
C2 = 1.5” x 7”
C3 = 6” x 1.5”
D1 = 3” x 1.5”
D2 = 1.5” x 8.5”
D3 = 6” x 1.5”
Assembling the Block:
Press thoroughly between each step. Always sew with a ¼” seam allowance.
1. Sew together B1 & A2.
2. Sew together A5 & B3.
3. Sew together C2 & A4.
4. Sew together C1 & A3 & C3.
5. Sew together D1 & A9 & D3.
6. Sew C1/A3/C3 to C2/A4.
7. Sew D2 to D1/A9/D3.
8. Sew B1/A2 to the top of C1/A3/C3/C2/A4 and A5/B3 to the bottom of it.
9. Sew A8 to the top of D1/A9/D3/D2 and A10 to the bottom of it.
10. Sew B2 to the right side of your piecing from Step 8.
11. Sew A7 to the left side of your piecing from Step 9.
12. Sew A1 to the top of your piecing from step 10 and A6 to the bottom of it.
13. Assemble the two piecing portions together, lining them up at the top.
14. Using a 12.5” ruler, if you have one, square up the block at an angle as pictured. Be sure to get the upper left corner in the A fabric and the lower right in the C fabric.
If you don’t have a 12.5” ruler, consider drawing your cut lines before making a cut. You don’t want to cut one side and realize you’ve cut too much off to get a full block out of the piecing.
Here are some digital quilts made out of this block:
And here is the block made with some completely different fabrics:
I went with a Denyse Schmidt mix with:
- Fabric A: Kona Cotton Coal
Fabric B: Hope Valley – Prairie Rose Fiesta
Fabric C: Hope Valley – Canyon Stripe Fiesta
Fabric D: Flea Market Fancy – Eyelet Pink
And more digital quilts with these fabrics:
Hope you have a great time sewing up this block!
3 Responses to “Modern Block of the Month (BOM) ~ April Sew-Along”