Handmade Holidays ~ Fussy-Cut Polaroid Ornaments
It’s not exactly “Christmas in July” this year, though we do have a really fun line-up of easy holiday tutorials ahead this week! (How is it August already?!) Get an early start on holiday gifts and decorations so you can pat yourself on the back once the season arrives… Rachael from imagine gnats is back (she recently brought us the Quilt Blocks Tangram Book and Sun + Sea Patchwork Messenger Bag). Learn more about Rachael in her introduction, and enjoy the quick and easy tutorial today. The Polaroid-style ornaments feature your favorite bits of fabric, cut to highlight all of the small details you love.
This is a quick and easy ornament project that uses felt, fabric, and ribbon. Add in some perle cotton for a hand stitching highlight your children will be happy to help out with!
1. Make a template for the ornament as shown.
The template should measure 3 1/2 x 4″, with a 2 3/4″ square cut-out. The square should be 3/8″ from the top of the template and from each of the two sides.
2. Cut two pieces of felt each 3 1/2 x 4″. Place the template over one piece of felt.
3. Trace the square cut-out from template on to the piece of felt.
4. Cut along the lines to remove the cut-out.
5. Fussy-cut a 3 1/4″ square piece of fabric for your “photo.”
6. Place square right side down onto felt with cut-out. Place second piece of felt on top, turn over, and pin around four corners of cut-out.
7. Fold 8″ piece of ribbon in half and insert at the top between layers of felt. Be sure the ribbon is behind the fabric square as well so that it is caught in both seams but doesn’t show.
8. Stitch around the cut-out with a 1/8″ seam allowance. Stitch around edge of felt with a 1/8″ seam allowance. Trim edges if necessary.
9. Make more! Hang on tree, use as present toppers or give as gifts.
Alternative Method (with kid-friendly hand stitching):
Follow steps 1-5.
6. Place square right side down onto felt with cut-out. Pin to felt at each corner. Fold 8″ piece of ribbon in half and pin to center top of felt.
7. Machine stitch around the cut-out with a 1/8″ seam allowance.
8. Pin to second piece of felt. Use a piece of perle cotton to hand stitch felt pieces together around edges, starting thread on the inside to hide knot.
9. After stitching completely around felt, knot thread on back and trim.
10. Required: Make silly face when your mom tries to photograph your ornament. Hang on tree.
5 Responses to “Handmade Holidays ~ Fussy-Cut Polaroid Ornaments”